[XeTeX] xelatex math problem with sqrt

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat May 31 21:27:43 CEST 2008

On 31 May 2008, at 5:45 pm, Christian Schenk wrote:

>> I'll re-examine the possible code paths to see if there's a
>> possibility of the value being left uninitialized; alternatively, are
>> there changes in MiKTeX that mean the initialization to NULL gets
>> missed in some case?
>
> Not that I know of. I will take a closer look at the MiKTeX change
> file.
>   IIRC, the crash occured in TECkit_ConvertBuffer with
> applytfmfontmapping on the call stack.

That would certainly happen if the font_mapping[] entry was
uninitialized, but I don't see how this could happen. With tfm fonts,
xetex calls check_for_tfm_font_mapping right before trying to open
the tfm file, to see if a mapping is specified on the name. This sets
saved_mapping_name to NULL or to a copy of the mapping name, if any.

Then, as part of <Make final adjustments...>, it sets font_mapping[f]
to the result of load_tfm_font_mapping, which will be either NULL, if
no mapping was specified, or the result of load_mapping_file (using
the saved_mapping_name from earlier).

If you see a way that the font_mapping[] entry can be left
uninitialized when a font is loaded, let me know as this would be an
error that could cause crashes on any platform.