[XeTeX] can not build xetex0.998.3

Marcin Woliński wolinski at mimuw.edu.pl
Wed May 28 14:57:03 CEST 2008

R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar wrote:

> > I have one suggestion, though. I had to uninstall both texlive-full and
> > texlive-xetex to install
> >
> > texlive-xetex-snapshot_698_i386.deb
> >
> > In the process, 46 other packages installed under texlive-full have now become
> > redundant and will be removed on apt-get update/upgrade sessions. I do not want
> > to remove them.
> >
> > Is it possible to make the new package more of a drop-in replacement for
> > texlive-xetex so that texlive-full need not be removed in the process?

Good point. I should have made texlive-xetex-snapshot ‘provide’
texlive-xetex (now it only ’confilicts’ and ‘replaces’).  I will correct
this.

> Perhaps the above is not necessary.
>
> Thanks to Jonathan, I have just found out that the SVN sources may be compiled
> and installed using
>
> ./build-xetex
> sudo install-xetex
>
> and that the result peacefully co-exists with the standard Ubuntu texlive-2007
> packages.

But then the package manager doesn't know about this version and you
have no easy way to uninstall / upgrade to official TeXlive 2008 version
when it is available.

Marcin