[XeTeX] XeTeX cannot deal with pdf v1.6

Ulrike Fischer news2 at nililand.de
Mon May 26 18:11:22 CEST 2008

Am Mon, 26 May 2008 14:07:01 +0800 schrieb Joseph LEE:

> Hi All
>
> These days I need to extract a page in one pdf file (v1.4) and insert it
> into a tex document in graphics style. But the Acrobat 8 would rise the
> version of extracted page to v1.6.
>
> With the simplest source:
>
> \documentclass[a4paper]{article}
> \usepackage{graphicx,color}
> \begin{document}
> \resizebox{\textwidth}{!}{\includegraphics{5.pdf}}%5.pdf is pdf v1.6
> \end{document}
>
> The XeLaTeX warns and could not output any page
>
> ** WARNING ** Couldn't open font map file "psbase14.map".
> ** WARNING ** Couldn't open font map file "pdfmfnt.map".
> ** WARNING ** Version of PDF file (1.6) is newer than version limit
> specification.
> 'gswin32c' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
> ** WARNING ** Filtering file via command -->gswin32c -q -dSAFER
> -dNOPAUSE -dBATC
> H -sPAPERSIZE=a0 -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4
> -dAutoFilterGrayImag
> es=false -dAutoFilterColorImages=false -dGrayImageFilter=/FlateEncode
> -dColorIma
> geFilter=/FlateEncode -dUseFlateCompression=true
> -sOutputFile=C:/DOCUME~1/JOSEPH
> ~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/dvipdfmx.b02256 -c .setpdfwrite -f ./5.pdf -c quit<--
> failed.
> ** WARNING ** Image format conversion for "./5.pdf" failed...
> ** WARNING ** Image width=0.0!
> ** WARNING ** Image height=0.0!
> ** ERROR ** pdf_ref_obj(): passed invalid object.
>
> Output file removed.
>
> Error 1 (driver return code) generating output;
> file test.pdf may not be valid.
> Transcript written on test.log.
>
> While pdfLaTeX could roughly process it with warning and give a pdf file.
>
> pdfTeX warning: pdflatex.exe (file ./5.pdf): PDF inclusion: found PDF
> version <1.6>, but at most version <1.4> allowed.
>
> As I have to use fontspec in my main document, replacing XeLaTeX with
> pdfLaTeX can not be a solution. Nowadays, I have to conver pdf into
> separated PNG files and suffer the low resolution of bitmap.
>
> How can I resolve this problem or just waiting for the update of XeTeX?

You could try to change the version setting in dvipdfmx.cfg:

%% PDF Version Setting
%%
%% PDF (minor) version stamp to use in output file.
%% This also implies maximal version of PDF file allowed to be included.
%% Dvipdfmx does not support 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 since TrueType font embedded
%% as CIDFontType2 requires at least version 1.3. Transparent imaging
%% model requires version 1.4. So if you want soft-masking support for
%% PNG image with alpha channels, you should set version to 4 or higher.

V  4

pdftex has a similar configuration value. See the pdftex manual.

--
Ulrike Fischer