[XeTeX] XeTeX cannot deal with pdf v1.6

Joseph LEE josephlee.linux at gmail.com
Mon May 26 08:07:01 CEST 2008

Hi All

These days I need to extract a page in one pdf file (v1.4) and insert it
into a tex document in graphics style. But the Acrobat 8 would rise the
version of extracted page to v1.6.

With the simplest source:

\documentclass[a4paper]{article}
\usepackage{graphicx,color}
\begin{document}
\resizebox{\textwidth}{!}{\includegraphics{5.pdf}}%5.pdf is pdf v1.6
\end{document}

The XeLaTeX warns and could not output any page

** WARNING ** Couldn't open font map file "psbase14.map".
** WARNING ** Couldn't open font map file "pdfmfnt.map".
** WARNING ** Version of PDF file (1.6) is newer than version limit
specification.
'gswin32c' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
** WARNING ** Filtering file via command -->gswin32c -q -dSAFER
-dNOPAUSE -dBATC
H -sPAPERSIZE=a0 -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4
-dAutoFilterGrayImag
es=false -dAutoFilterColorImages=false -dGrayImageFilter=/FlateEncode
-dColorIma
geFilter=/FlateEncode -dUseFlateCompression=true
-sOutputFile=C:/DOCUME~1/JOSEPH
~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/dvipdfmx.b02256 -c .setpdfwrite -f ./5.pdf -c quit<--
failed.
** WARNING ** Image format conversion for "./5.pdf" failed...
** WARNING ** Image width=0.0!
** WARNING ** Image height=0.0!
** ERROR ** pdf_ref_obj(): passed invalid object.

Output file removed.

Error 1 (driver return code) generating output;
file test.pdf may not be valid.
Transcript written on test.log.

While pdfLaTeX could roughly process it with warning and give a pdf file.

pdfTeX warning: pdflatex.exe (file ./5.pdf): PDF inclusion: found PDF
version <1.6>, but at most version <1.4> allowed.

As I have to use fontspec in my main document, replacing XeLaTeX with
pdfLaTeX can not be a solution. Nowadays, I have to conver pdf into
separated PNG files and suffer the low resolution of bitmap.

How can I resolve this problem or just waiting for the update of XeTeX?

--
Yours, Sincerely

Joseph LEE