[XeTeX] can not build xetex0.998.3 in linux

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat May 24 15:17:06 CEST 2008

On 24 May 2008, at 12:06 pm, VAFA KHALIGHI wrote:

> I am using ubuntu linux. after installing gcc, flex and bison, it
> continued the building but again failed at the end. I think it has
> a problem with its path. this is what it gives at the end:
>
> ### Making xetex binary using: 'cd Work/texk/web2c && /usr/bin/make
> web2cdir=/usr/share/texmf/web2c xetex'
> make: *** No rule to make target `xetex'.  Stop.
> ### failed to build the xetex binary

It sounds like the configure stage is still failing, but we'd need to
see more output than this in order to tell why. There are probably
error messages somewhere earlier, before all the libraries get compiled.

If you're not comfortable with the process of compiling software from
source, installation of the required development packages, etc,
perhaps you should simply use the ready-made package that Marcin
announced recently on the list:

     http://tug.org/pipermail/xetex/2008-May/009730.html

If you really want to build it yourself, you'll need to look back at
the output of configure to see why it's not creating the necessary
Makefile. Possibly you're lacking the headers for fontconfig, or
something like that?