[XeTeX] arabxetex Fonts are not connected

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Thu May 22 16:59:56 CEST 2008

On 22/05/2008, at 11:36 PM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

>> \newfontfamily\arabicfont[Script=Arabic,Scale=1.2]{Lateef-AAT}
>>
>> did not help. The error message is:
>>
>> Package fontspec Warning:
>>    Font "Lateef-AAT/ICU"does not contain script 'Arabic'
>
> These are both AAT fonts, so try [Renderer=AAT] rather than
> [Script=Arabic] (which is an ICU OpenType-related option). Or
> alternatively, use the OpenType (not -AAT) versions of the fonts.

The reason that the font was trying to be processed with ICU was the
"Script=Arabic" option -- this immediately forces the ICU renderer
because it doesn't make sense for an AAT font. Off the top of my head
I'm not sure which feature would win in a fight of
"Renderer=AAT,Script=Arabic" :)

I realise the documentation is rather unclear on the differences
between AAT and OpenType fonts (especially because the vast majority
of users will only be using the latter) and I'll re-write the whole
thing one day...

Will