[XeTeX] arabxetex Fonts are not connected

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu May 22 16:31:48 CEST 2008

Le 22 mai 08 à 16:13, Marek Stepanek a écrit :

> did you mean like that:
>
> \usepackage[Renderer=AAT]{fontspec}
>
> Or are you speaking of a sort of preference for the package fontspec?
> (Indulgence! I am beginner!)

What I've just tried and which seems to work (XeLaTeX-wise at least,
as I don't know Arabic and hence can't judge the quality of the output):

- With xdv2pdf, either of:

\newfontfamily\arabicfont[Scale=1.2]{Scheherazade-AAT}
\newfontfamily\arabicfont[Script=Arabic,Scale=1.2]{Scheherazade}

- With xdvipdfmx:

\newfontfamily\arabicfont[Script=Arabic,Scale=1.2]{Scheherazade}

How to specify xdv2pdf or xdvipdfmx: the default has changed recently
on the Mac, it used to be xdv2pdf and is now xdvipdfmx. Personally I
created TeXShop engines, inside ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines:

- One XeLaTeX-xdv2pdf.engine containing:

#!/bin/tcsh

set path= ($path /usr/texbin /usr/local/bin)
xelatex -output-driver="xdv2pdf" "$1"

- The other XeLaTeX-xdvipdfmx.engine containing:

#!/bin/tcsh

set path= ($path /usr/texbin /usr/local/bin)
xelatex -output-driver="xdvipdfmx -q -E" "$1"

Don't forget to make them executable afterwards in Terminal, namely:

chmod a+x ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/XeLaTeX-xdv2pdf.engine
chmod a+x ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/XeLaTeX-xdvipdfmx.engine

You can then select the engine inside TeXShop using the corresponding
pull-down menu in the toolbar, or write at the beginning of your input
file either of:

%!TEX TS-program = xelatex-xdv2pdf
%!TEX TS-program = xelatex-xdvipdfmx

For good measure, it also doesn't harm to add:

%!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode

so as to make sure TeXShop uses UTF-8 encoding for opening and saving
the file.

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin