[XeTeX] problem with a font (again)

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat May 17 00:38:19 CEST 2008

On 16 May 2008, at 10:43 pm, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:

> [Two weeks ago I sent this messge to the list, but I got no reply.]
>
> Using a the Army font (http://www.dafont.com/army.font) with the
> xdvipdfmx contained in TL 2007 gives me the following error message:
>
> DVI Comment:  XeTeX output 2008.04.30:1718
> a.xdv -> a.pdf
> <AGL:texglyphlist.txt>[1<Army(Army:Regular)@9.96pt<NATIVE-
> FONTMAP:Army/H>
> fontmap: Army/H -> /usr/share/fonts/drakfont/otf/Army.ttf(Identity-H)
>
> pdf_font>> Input encoding "Identity-H" requires at least 2 bytes.
> pdf_font>> The -m <00> option will be assumed for
> "/usr/share/fonts/drakfont/otf/Army.ttf".
>
> ** ERROR ** sfnt: Freetype failure...
>
> FreeType is 2.3.5. I remember that I was able to use this font with
> previous versions of xdvipdfmx (and xetex). Is this a bug in
> xdvipdfmx?

Probably.

> If so, has it been fixed in the devel version?

I just tried this font, and it works for me with the current version.

If you're able to build from current http://scripts.sil.org/svn-
public/xetex/TRUNK sources and confirm whether it also works on your
platform, that would be good.

> I have another unrelated question: is there a command to make an
> object
> completely transparent without having to specify the color? I'm
> thinking
> of texts, but being able to set transparency independently from colors
> may be very useful in some circunstances.

There may be an (x)dvipdfmx way to do this, but I don't know.