[XeTeX] Font sizes and line spacings

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Fri May 16 16:30:40 CEST 2008

Hi

I'll leave LaTeX users to respond on your technical points.  As to the point-size/interline space ratio, the decision will depend partly on the font (Baskerville has rather tall capitals but other fonts don't, and could tolerate a slightly reduced interlinear leading while still giving a reasonably comfortable effect for the reader).   The text-width of your document is also a very important consideration:  Something like 12/15 might be great for a large book at 32 picas width, but would be hopelessly too large for say a standard 24-pica text width, where perhaps 10/12 would be OK for a reasonably chunky font, maybe something like 10.5/13 for a more delicate font.  It's partly an aesthetic decision, but should always be taken with a view to the most comfortable experience for the reader:  the eye should not have to travel too far from the end of one line to the start of the next, and the lines should not be so tightly together that the reader has to strain to follow the text.  The best typography, like the best copy-editing, is (nearly) always invisible - readers shouldn't be aware of it as they absorb the content of the text.

Not that it's always easy to put the theory into practice!

John