[XeTeX] Accented gliphs

Ulrike Fischer news2 at nililand.de
Thu May 15 16:37:56 CEST 2008

Am Thu, 15 May 2008 15:11:14 +0200 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:

>> While it is ok if inputenc is ignored in XeTeX, disabling fontenc is
>> absolutely not a good idea. E.g. it will break all the chess fonts.
>
> I don't know how chess fonts work, but I meant not necessary disabling
> it, but at least ignoring the "T1" the part which says that \ss should
> map to this and that position in the font

Yes and this breaks the chessfonts. Because their encodings maps
commands like \king or \WhiteKingOnBlack to positions in the fonts.

> (there is probably some other character at that position anyway).

Why should it? If you issue an \fontencoding{T1}\selectfont then xetex
will load the t1XXX-fd files and use T1-encoded tfm and fonts and so at
the position of \ss will be the ß.

> Not only that. Even if ß, ÿ and every other accented character would
> be mapped to \ss or other corresponding slot in T1 encoding, at least
> the hyphenation patterns would still be broken.

Yes. You are right, I hadn't realize this, you probably would have to
define a new language to get the old patterns.

--
Ulrike Fischer