[XeTeX] Accented gliphs

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Thu May 15 15:29:22 CEST 2008

On 15/05/2008, at 10:41 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> inputenc could use \XeTeXinputencoding primitive, but again: I'm not
> sure that it's a good idea to support that on high level. One should
> get rid of old encodings as soon as possible anyway.

It's not really the "friendly" way to throw up errors for things that
packages can work around without much effort. Idealistically, I do
agree with you, though :)

The wrong thing to do would be to switch to the "bytes" encoding
method and use inputenc like usual. But we can at least transparently
steer the user away from loading inputenc in the first place.

With the blessing of the LaTeX team, I'm putting together a small
inputenc package that will do exactly that.

All it will do is throw a big sign in the transcript and change the
encoding (of both the current file and files to be read) to that
specified. (After all, many users are still using latin1-based editors
on Windows, right? Or has that platform started to catch up in the
last couple of years?)

I'm *definitely* not doing anything with fontenc.

Any thoughts?
Will