[XeTeX] Accented gliphs

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Thu May 15 12:59:38 CEST 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 12:13 PM, Jacob Zimbarg Sobrinho wrote:

> \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}

> In other words, the accented glyphs resulting from input in line 1 are
> missing. I do feel that XeTeX ought to be a "conservative extension" of
> standard LaTeX, and therefore something is not working properly.

XeTeX is *not* a conservative extension of TeX. If conservative should
mean that it should work the same way it worked in (pdf)TeX, then
people should better keep using the nearly frozen (pdf)TeX.

The problem is not in XeTeX itself, but in the inputenc package. On
one hand, it's highly advisable to use
     \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
in (pdf)LaTeX anyway, and on the other, someone from the LaTeX team
should probably fix the inputenc package to recognise XeTeX and act
accordingly.

But the next question raised usually turns out to be, why doesn't
   \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
work as expected. And those old hacks are never going to work in Xe(La)TeX.

Convincing maintainers of fontenc and inputenc to fix the packages to
work with XeTeX (in the sense that they would simply be ignored in
XeTeX) would be nice, but you cannot automatically use your old LaTeX
sources out of the box anyway, let alone the fact that also many other
packages do not work with XeTeX at all.

> Is there a quick way to fix this problem?

(As answered by others already.)

Mojca