[XeTeX] Footnote mark not superscript

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Thu May 15 12:54:27 CEST 2008

On 15/05/2008, at 8:08 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> It's the problem that Kirk Lowery also has. Although the fonts are
> providing superscript digits (according to OpenType-info.tex and
> others) they do not get selected for footnote marks. And I am using
> at least in one test the same font as you and fail ...

But is it a problem with xltxtra or with the font? I thought you guys
decided the problem was the font itself.

> Could be Kirk's code
>
> 	\defaultfontfeatures{Scale=MatchLowercase}
> 	\setmainfont[Numbers=Uppercase]{Palatino Linotype}
>
> is simply inappropriate!

Well, of course -- Palatino Linotype doesn't offer a feature to access
lining numbers because they're on by default! That's why the warning
is being shown. (The font should offer the feature, though.)

I notice that Palatino Linotype also has the bug that the combination
of lowercase numbers and superscripts doesn't work:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\setmainfont[Numbers=Lowercase]{Palatino Linotype}
\begin{document}
123 hello\footnote{note}
\addfontfeature{VerticalPosition=Superior}1
\end{document}

I'm only on 0.998.1 at the moment though. Jonathan, this isn't the
first time I've noticed this so-called "font bug" recently (e.g.,
where a +lnum or +onum overrides a +sups feature). Is it possible the
behaviour of the ICU engine has changed in this case? There's no code
in fontspec to remove font features yet, so this could cause a bit of
annoyance (to everyone) if large numbers of fonts are affected by this
problem.

Will