[XeTeX] Changing font for equations

Easter Sunshine eastersunshine at yahoo.com
Fri May 9 08:01:24 CEST 2008

> > Is there a way to override the font used to
> typeset
> > equations?
>
> It sounds like you already are. Andrew Moschou sent
> an example to the
> list a couple of weeks back on how to do this for
> arbitrary fontspec
> fonts, but there's no package support yet.

Moschou was using the [no-math] option of fontspec
which isn't available to me because I have chosen to
use a vanilla TeXLive distribution. I will wait until
TeXLive 2008 to update.

> By the way, does no-one read the fontspec manual? :)
> \setmathrm sets
> the font used in \mathrm, funnily enough. It's not
> going to change the
> maths font! Should I change that command to

"\setthefontusedinsidemathrmbutnotthemathsfontitself"?

Sorry, I had misunderstood the concept of \mathrm. I
thought that the same font was used in \mathrm{} and
in normal equation mode outside \mathrm{} but just
that a different variant was used in each situation
(Minion Pro Italic versus Minion Pro Regular).

I think for now, I'll use the dirty hack of using
pdflatex and the preview package to export equations
by themselves and then use \XeTeXpdffile to include
them. It'll be tedious but I'm willing to try this for
now.

Thanks for your reply,
-Easter Sunshine