[XeTeX] xelatex.fmt missing

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu May 8 10:03:11 CEST 2008

On 8 May 2008, at 4:54 pm, Arno Trautmann wrote:

> Outputs:
>
> head /opt/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/generic/xu-hyphen/xu-glhyph.tex
> % xu-glhyph.tex
> % Wrapper for XeTeX to read glhyph.tex
> % Jonathan Kew, 2006-09-13
> % Public domain
>
> \begingroup
>
> \expandafter\ifx\csname XeTeXrevision\endcsname\relax
> \else
>
> head /opt/texlive/texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/glhyph.tex
> % This is the file glhyph.tex, version 2.2
> % Hyphenation patterns for Galician.
> %
> % Generated with the mkpattern utility (v. 1.01), on 2007/01/29.
> % The original source file were glpatter.tex
> % This is a generated file
> %
> % (c) Javier A. M\'ugica, 2006-2007
> % License: LPPL version 1.3
> %

OK, this is definitely an error in the Arch package you're using;
these files are mismatched.

TeXLive2007 shipped with glhyph.tex version 1.0, see

   http://tug.org/svn/texlive/tags/texlive-2007.0/Master/texmf/tex/
generic/hyphen/glhyph.tex?revision=4510&view=markup

and a corresponding file xu-glhyph.tex. This was the official TL
release, and worked to build the xelatex format.

It seems that the Arch package is using an updated version of
glhyph.tex, perhaps from the TL development repository (which was
updated to 2.2 on 2007-04-09, and has now been updated further to 2.3
on 2007-12-26, see

   http://tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/
glhyph.tex?view=log

Or they may have included an update from a separate upstream source
such as CTAN.

In TeXLive, xu-glhyph.tex was updated to work with glhyph.tex 2.2 on
2007-05-05, see

   http://tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/texmf-dist/tex/generic/xu-
hyphen/xu-glhyph.tex?view=log

(I believe this revision is also compatible with glhyph 2.3.)

So the problem is that the Arch TL maintainers updated one of these
files to a newer version than the TL2007 release, but did not update
the other to match. (And they must not have tested basic things like
enabling and building all formats with their package, or the problem
would have been obvious.)

This should be reported to whoever maintains the texlive package for
Arch.... feel free to forward the details given here.

>>> A workaround would be to disable the Galician language by commenting
>>> out the entry in language.dat, or via the "hyphenation" option in
>>> texconfig (or another configuration tool, if the Arch package is
>>> different from plain TeXLive). However, it would be good to check
>>> what's actually wrong, and report it to the package maintainers.
>>
>> I recently began using the Arch linux package. Commenting out the
>> Galician entry in language.dat fixes the problem.
>
> Sorry, but where is this file? I didn’t find it…

Running

   kpsewhich language.dat

should show you the location.