[XeTeX] xelatex, memoir and glossaries

Kirk Lowery empirical.humanist at gmail.com
Wed May 7 22:43:58 CEST 2008

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 1:26 PM, Kirk Lowery
<empirical.humanist at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 1:08 PM, Kirk Lowery
>  <empirical.humanist at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 11:49 AM, Ulrike Fischer <news2 at nililand.de> wrote:
>  >  > Am Wed, 7 May 2008 11:20:20 -0400 schrieb Kirk Lowery:
>  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  >  > I'm having a problem creating a glossary and I'm not sure where my problem is.
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  > I'm using the memoir class. In the preamble, as per instructions, I
>  >  >  > have a \makeglossary command, a \printglossary command in the main
>  >  >  > file and a couple of \glossary items in the text. I then generate a
>  >  >  > pdf file which is supposed to generate all the associated glossary
>  >  >  > files.
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  > The problem: no document.ist file is created. So makeindex fails.
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  > What am I missing?
>  >  >
>  >  >  Make a minimal example that demonstrates the problem.
>  >
>  >  Thank you for this reminder for TeX troubleshooting. It helped me to
>  >  "solve" my problem, sort of. I now get a glossary. Here's what I had
>  >  to do:
>  >
>  >  I found the file memmanadd.pdf file (especially pp. 38-40) in the
>  >  memoir doc directory. The key insight is that one must *create* the
>  >  *.ist file (pg. 40) and provides a minimum example. There's a
>  >  memman.gst (note the different extension) that one could hack. The
>  >  LaTeX Companion (pp. 659-665) documents the *.ist file format.
>  >
>  >  One pass of xelatex generates the *.glo file. Then one executes the
>  >  command (using my minimal filename)
>  >
>  >  makeindex -s glossarytest.ist -o glossarytest.gls glossarytest.glo
>  >
>  >  That generates the *.gls file needed. Now rerun xelatex. The glossary
>  >  is created. The minimal *.ist file doesn't create a very pretty
>  >  format. I've attached the minimal example, the input style file and
>  >  the final pdf.
>  >
>  >  So it turns out that I needed to learn how memoir does glossaries and
>  >  not an xelatex issue at all. Are glossaries as difficult using memoir
>  >  and pdflatex? I'd appreciate any tips on how to streamline this
>  >  process.
>  >
>  >  Kirk
>
>  I've learned a bit more about making glossaries. I used pdflatex on
>  the same minimal file. Low and behold! An *.ist file is created! And
>  it is more sophisticated than the one I created. I've attached the
>  *.ist and pdf files for your interest. Now I wonder: should xelatex do
>  the same as pdftex?
>
>  Kirk

Once again I find that xelatex must be exonerated from any
responsibility for any of this. Using memoir is the "problem". I've
been tracing the internals of all this. I discovered that memoir
emulates glossary.sty and it is glossary.sty that creates the *.ist
file. So the moral of this tale is: if one uses memoir and wants a
glossary, one must learn all about input style parameters and create
one's own. And this will be necessary for building an index as well.
At least I'll have the generated file to learn and hack from.

Kirk