[XeTeX] xelatex, memoir and glossaries

Kirk Lowery empirical.humanist at gmail.com
Wed May 7 19:26:36 CEST 2008

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 1:08 PM, Kirk Lowery
<empirical.humanist at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 11:49 AM, Ulrike Fischer <news2 at nililand.de> wrote:
>  > Am Wed, 7 May 2008 11:20:20 -0400 schrieb Kirk Lowery:
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >  > I'm having a problem creating a glossary and I'm not sure where my problem is.
>  >  >
>  >  > I'm using the memoir class. In the preamble, as per instructions, I
>  >  > have a \makeglossary command, a \printglossary command in the main
>  >  > file and a couple of \glossary items in the text. I then generate a
>  >  > pdf file which is supposed to generate all the associated glossary
>  >  > files.
>  >  >
>  >  > The problem: no document.ist file is created. So makeindex fails.
>  >  >
>  >  > What am I missing?
>  >
>  >  Make a minimal example that demonstrates the problem.
>
>  Thank you for this reminder for TeX troubleshooting. It helped me to
>  "solve" my problem, sort of. I now get a glossary. Here's what I had
>  to do:
>
>  I found the file memmanadd.pdf file (especially pp. 38-40) in the
>  memoir doc directory. The key insight is that one must *create* the
>  *.ist file (pg. 40) and provides a minimum example. There's a
>  memman.gst (note the different extension) that one could hack. The
>  LaTeX Companion (pp. 659-665) documents the *.ist file format.
>
>  One pass of xelatex generates the *.glo file. Then one executes the
>  command (using my minimal filename)
>
>  makeindex -s glossarytest.ist -o glossarytest.gls glossarytest.glo
>
>  That generates the *.gls file needed. Now rerun xelatex. The glossary
>  is created. The minimal *.ist file doesn't create a very pretty
>  format. I've attached the minimal example, the input style file and
>  the final pdf.
>
>  So it turns out that I needed to learn how memoir does glossaries and
>  not an xelatex issue at all. Are glossaries as difficult using memoir
>  and pdflatex? I'd appreciate any tips on how to streamline this
>  process.
>
>  Kirk

I've learned a bit more about making glossaries. I used pdflatex on
the same minimal file. Low and behold! An *.ist file is created! And
it is more sophisticated than the one I created. I've attached the
*.ist and pdf files for your interest. Now I wonder: should xelatex do
the same as pdftex?

Kirk