[XeTeX] Res: Res: Minion Pro and Japanese text

Atsuhito Kohda kohda at pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp
Mon May 5 13:34:21 CEST 2008

On Mon, 5 May 2008 12:02:08 +0200, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 05.05.2008 um 10:24 schrieb Atsuhito Kohda:
>
> > Is there any commonly known evidence that these fonts are
> > free enough so we can freely use them with XeTeX?
>
> Their license says in short it's allowed to use them for preview and
> it's allowed to embed them in a document. Details can be obtained
> from http://www.adobe.com/type/browser/legal/index.html.
>
> It's probably not allowed to distribute and to alter them or make
> money with them.

Thanks for your clarification.  To avoid misunderstanding
I cited the clause relevant to the issue;

14.7.1 You may use the font software with the Software on Computers
       as described in Section 2 and output the font software to any
       output device(s) connected to such Computer(s).

14.7.4 You may convert and install the font software into another
       format for use in other environments, subject to the following
       conditions: A computer on which the converted font software is
       used or installed will be considered as one of your Permitted
       Number of Computers. Use of the font software you have converted
       will be pursuant to all the terms and conditions of this agreement.
       Such converted font software may be used only for your own customary
       internal business or personal use and may not be distributed or
       transferred for any purpose, except in accordance with Section 4.4
       of this agreement.

14.7.5 You may embed copies of the font software into your electronic
       documents for the purpose of printing and viewing the document.
       If the font software you are embedding is identified as "licensed
       for editable embedding" on Adobe’s website at
       http://www.adobe.com/type/browser/legal/embeddingeula.html, you may
       also embed copies of that font software for the additional purpose
       of editing your electronic documents. No other embedding rights are
       implied or permitted under this license.

It looks they permit the fonts to be used with XeTeX.
However I find the following statements in LICREAD.TXT
of FontPack81_jpn_i486-linux.tar.gz

   The font software contained in this package is being licensed to you solely
   for use with the Adobe Reader product ("Adobe Reader") subject to
   the terms and conditions of the Electronic End User License Agreement
   accompanying the Adobe Reader.

especially, "solely for use with the Adobe Reader product
("Adobe Reader")" looks very restrictive to me.

I don't intend to say they are unusable with XeTeX but
want to ensure that we can use them with XeTeX safely.

Thanks in advance,    	       2008-5-5(Mon)

--
 Debian Developer - much more I18N of Debian
 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda AT debian.org>