[XeTeX] e-TeX bugfix leads to bad Chinese linebreaking?

Yin Dian yindian at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 09:14:00 CET 2008

Hi,

Recently I found that XeTeX could not find proper line break point for
Chinese texts with a narrow \hsize. After some investigation, I found
that this probable bug was introduced after revision 579, where the
e-TeX bugfix was merged. After I changed the corresponding lines in
xetex.ch and etex.ch back just as in revision 578, the resulting
output became as expected.

The attachment shows a small example.  As you can see, when \hsize=3em
the lines are expected to contain 3 Chinese characters normally, but
after the opening quotation mark each line only contains 2 characters.
Reverting the e-TeX bugfix back could generate the desired output.

I don't know much about what the e-TeX bug was and why the bugfix
behaves so differently. I hope anyone could explain this and come to a
solution. Thanks in advance!

Regards.

-YIN Dian