[XeTeX] XeTeX and diacritics

Arash Zeini azeini at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 27 10:53:31 CET 2008

Dear List,

I found the answer to my problem here:

http://tug.org/pipermail/xetex/2008-January/008202.html

Ross suggests two solutions:

1. \DeclareTextCommand{\b}{\UTFencname}[1]{\loweraccent[0.15ex]{"02CD}{#1}}
Works with \usepackage{exaccent} and creates the same underline under any character. Hence there is no difference between a thus created \b{H} and an underlined Z as offered by Gentium. This solves my problem.

2. \DeclareEncodedCompositeCharacter{\UTFencname}{\b}{02CD}{02CD}
Does not work for me with Gentium, places the bar to the right of the character. I guess Ross's original explanation applies to Gentium too.

Thanks and regards,
Arash