[XeTeX] XeTeX and diacritics / odd doubling phenomenon

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue Mar 25 14:04:05 CET 2008

On 25 Mar 2008, at 7:33 am, Daniel Stender wrote:

> Jonathan Kew wrote:
>
>> Very odd!
>>
>> I tried running your example with my current development code, and
>> the problem does not occur here.
>>
>> What version number does your XeTeX report (e.g, in the introductory
>> This is XeTeX, version.... line)? If it is 0.996 (the version that
>> shipped with TeX Live 2007), there was a bug that might be related to
>> this. If you have 0.996-patch1, an update that some packages have
>> incorporated, or any pre-release of 0.997, then I thought that issue
>> was fixed (and if it's not, then I should try to investigate it
>> further).
>
> 1) new demo source w/o babel ... the same (attachment)
>
> 2) Debian Lenny texlive-xetex 2007.dfsg.1-2, XeTeX
> 3.141592-2.2-0.996-patch1

OK, I went back to 0.996-patch1 and confirmed that this is indeed a
bug in that version of xetex; sorry, I thought it had been fixed by
then.

The good news is that 0.997 (current development version) does not
have this problem. So TeX Live 2008 will include a fixed version. If
you want it before then, you'll need to build a fresh copy from the
source repository (or persuade someone else to package a xetex update).