[XeTeX] XeTeX and diacritics

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Mar 24 21:26:13 CET 2008

On 24 Mar 2008, at 7:38 pm, Daniel Stender wrote:

>>> \newcommand{\z}[1]{\textit{({\footnotesize #1})}}
>>> \newcommand{\ue}[1]{{\footnotesize #1}}
>>>
>>> \newcommand{\z}[1]{\textit{({\tiny #1})}}
>>> \newcommand{\ue}[1]{{\footnotesize #1}}
>>>
>>> and now it works.
>>
>> It is very strange that this change makes the difference.
>> There must be more going on --- such as, one of your packages
>> making a change to how \footnotesize works.
>>
>> Would you post a complete example which includes the full
>> LaTeX preamble that you are using, and any non-standard class
>> or package files.
>
> It's a funny phenomenon, isn't it? I've attached a demo file
> and the resulting pdf.

Very odd!

I tried running your example with my current development code, and
the problem does not occur here.

What version number does your XeTeX report (e.g, in the introductory
This is XeTeX, version.... line)? If it is 0.996 (the version that
shipped with TeX Live 2007), there was a bug that might be related to
this. If you have 0.996-patch1, an update that some packages have
incorporated, or any pre-release of 0.997, then I thought that issue
was fixed (and if it's not, then I should try to investigate it
further).