[XeTeX] XeTeX and diacritics

Arash Zeini azeini at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 24 20:33:22 CET 2008

----- Original Message ----
From: Ross Moore <ross at ics.mq.edu.au>
To: Unicode-based TeX for Mac OS X and other platforms <xetex at tug.org>
Sent: Monday, 24 March, 2008 7:19:56 PM
Subject: Re: [XeTeX] XeTeX and diacritics

[...]

Another question is:
  Does it matter what is done at the input or macro levels?
  Does XeTeX produce the same output in the PDF whether a precomposed
  character or combining sequence is used, when there is a choice?

If I understand you correctly, this is what I have been trying to point out. For some diacritics it doesn't matter which input method you use or better: the difference might be so small that it doesn't matter, there is always a difference. But try two chracters side by side with two different methods and you will see the difference. As I mentioned earlier, an underlined z from Gentium differs significantly from a \b{z}.

Regards,
Arash