[XeTeX] polyglossia, babel and French hyphenation

Cyril Niklaus cyril.niklaus at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 08:24:50 CET 2008

Hello,

Thank you for your replies indicating the hyphenation limit on left
and right letters.
As I suspected, my lack of skill and knowledge was to blame here.

On 17 mars 08, at 18:11, Ulrike Fischer wrote:

> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
> \usepackage[ansinew]{inputenc}
> \usepackage[francais]{babel}
> \hyphenation{com-me}
> \textwidth3cm
> \begin{document}
> \showthe\righthyphenmin
>
> \righthyphenmin=2
> «~J'ai vu une maison de a a  cent mille francs.~» Alors elles
> s'écrient:
> x x
> «~Comme comme a a a  a a comme comme comme comme comme comme comme
> comme
> comme comme comme comme comme comme comme comme comme c'est joli!~»
> \end{document}

and
On 17 mars 08, at 17:29, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> With \righthyphenmin=3, you'll never get hyphenation that would give
> a two-character fragment at the end of the word.
>
> You can confirm that hyphenation is working if you change that
> "Comme" to "Comment"; then xelatex will happily hyphenate it as "Com-
> ment"
Indeed it does, but as you point out it does not solve that
particuliar problem.

> To avoid the overfull boxes, you need to relax the constraints in
> some way; a \sloppy declaration is probably the easiest "quick fix",
> if you don't want to fine-tune other factors.
Without changing the text nor the margins, that leaves the spaces
between the words and between the letters, right? Off to my LaTeX
books to see how to modify that manually! (references welcome, of
course)

In this particuliar case, using \sloppy for that passage and then
going back to \fussy doesn't change the line. So still had to manually
hyphenate it.

Nevertheless, both suggestions were helpfull, for which I'm grateful.

Cyril