[XeTeX] Fwd: xetex and friends for fedora 8

Kirk Lowery empirical.humanist at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 22:44:18 CET 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 1:14 PM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 20 March 2008, Kirk Lowery wrote:
>  > On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 12:59 PM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > > On Thursday 20 March 2008, Kirk Lowery wrote:
>  > >  > On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 9:54 PM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com>
>  wrote:
>  > >  >  > On Friday 14 March 2008, Kirk Lowery wrote:
>  > >  >  >  > Fedora will be moving to TeXLive eventually, from what I hear,
>  > >  >  >  > but until then installing TeXLive along with teTeX is
>  > >  >  >  > problematic.
>  > >  >  >  >
>  > >  >  >  > Does anyone have experience with xetex on a Fedora system? Is
>  > >  >  >  > there a recommended rpm? How best can xetex co-exist with teTeX
>  > >  >  >  > right now?
>  > >  >  >  >
>  > >  >  >  > TIA!
>  > >  >  >  >
>  > >  >  >  > Kirk
>  > >  >  > >
>  > >  >  > > _______________________________________________
>  > >  >  > >
>  > >  >  >  > XeTeX mailing list
>  > >  >  >  > postmaster at tug.org
>  > >  >  >
>  > >  >  >  I'm using texlive from F9 on F8.  Works pretty well so far.
>  > >  >
>  > >  >  Update: I followed the instructions and downloaded texlive rpms for
>  > >  >  F8. It turns out they've unbundled xetex from texlive, so one has to
>  > >  >  install 'texlive-xetex' packages. But the problems didn't end there.
>  > >  >  There is a dependency on a 'dvipdfmx', which is not in the F8
>  > >  >  repositories. I had to download it from the F9 'rawhide' repo. But
>  > >  >  xelatex would not work. Reason: it wants xdvipdfmx and that, too, was
>  > >  >  only in the rawhide repo. Anyway, it works now, and hopefully the
>  > >  >  upgrade path is painless...
>  > >
>  > >  Didn't yum install texlive* pull in the deps for you?
>  >
>  > No. When I tried to "yum install texlive-xetex" the install died with
>  > a dependency error.
>
>  I meant:
>
>  yum --enablerepo=development install texlive*

Oh. I didn't do it that way. Heh. It didn't occur to me because it
wasn't until I found the packages on rpmfind that I knew that they
were even there. I started off by looking for texlive in the f8 repos
as I usually look for things.

But, then, that command would have installed *all* the development
texlive packages, right? I generally try not to mix releases, except
if there is no other way...

I'll file this away for future reference. Thanks!

Kirk