[XeTeX] Mac-specific: permissions for xdv2pdf_mergemarks

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Mar 19 16:55:17 CET 2008

On 19 Mar 2008, at 3:40 pm, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> I've just run into the following error, when running XeLaTeX + xdv2pdf
> on the Mac with Leopard 10.5.2 (on a document using the hyperref
> package):
>
> sh: /usr/local/texlive/2007/../texmf-local/scripts/xetex/perl/
> xdv2pdf_mergemarks: Permission denied
> *** failed to run xdv2pdf_mergemarks: status = 32256
>
> That seems to be attributable to the script xdv2pdf_mergemarks, as
> installed in texmf-local when compiling xetex from source, not having
> the executable bit set:
> [snip...]

> This seems to indicate the files have been quarantined automatically
> by OS X following their extraction from TRUNK.tar.gz. Could this also
> explain why xdv2pdf_mergemarks did not get the executable bit set?

I don't know about the quarantine stuff, but it's possible that this
is simply a result of how the auto-generated tarball gets created
from the repository; I believe this process loses the executable
flag. I've run into this with the configure scripts, and so the build-
xetex script fixes those up before trying to run them, but I guess I
forgot about the mergemarks script. Sorry!

I've just updated the build-xetex script so that it should fix this
if necessary.