[XeTeX] XeTeX Digest, Vol 48, Issue 26

Yin Dian yindian at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 06:55:46 CET 2008

Hi Will,

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 12:22 PM, Will Robertson <wspr81 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 9:52 PM, Yin Dian <yindian at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  \newfontfamily\zhfont[RawFeature={vertical:+vert}]{Adobe Song Std}
>
> Here's the kind of example I was looking for. It would be easy for me
> to add a feature in fontspec that turns on +vert if it has it and
> otherwise use +vrt2, as well as the "vertical" XeTeX feature. Is this
> the only way such features are used?

The "vertical" XeTeX feature is at least needed. +vert or +vrt2 is not
mandatory, as not every Chinese font has this feature, such as SimSun
and alike shipped with Win XP. However, for correct positioning of
punctuations, +vert or +vrt2 is needed.

> For example, it seems pretty clear that I also want to be turning on
> +valt to get any roman letters in the vertical text at the correct
> alignment. Also see +vkrn, +vpal, and +vkna (Japanese only, I guess).

I think it's easy to use RawFeature in fontspec to specify what
features you need. And +vhalt is also useful in some cases :)

Regards.

-YIN Dian