[XeTeX] xdv2pdf (was Re: embolden bugs)

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Mar 18 14:11:50 CET 2008

Le 18 mars 08 à 12:19, William Adams a écrit :

> Filesizes come out smaller using xetex for some .tifs as well (if
> memory serves, Bruno wrote up a lengthy description of one such
> instance).

Your memory serves you right!

There was one instance in which I needed to include 10 huge PDF files
in a pdfTeX document. By huge I mean each PDF file was about 8 MB,
obtained from an EPS file of about 40 MB, as produced by Plot3D in
Mathematica 5 based on data on a 600 x 600 grid. Specifically, there
were 6 of the files included in one page of the document, and the
remaining 4 files on another page (ultimately pp. 300 and 302 of <http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0022112006004095
 >).

Proceeding as above, viewing the two pages on screen was a pain (each
page took minutes to display, and had to be redrawn from scratch
whenever the page was scrolled by the tiniest amount) and printing
them was problematic (generally causing crashes after 20 minutes or so
of processing in a LaserJet).

I ended up converting the PDF files to 600 dpi TIFF bitmaps (which
were the format and resolution suggested by the publisher for grey
scale bitmaps), and using XeTeX + xdv2pdf to include the TIFF files in
my document.

Alas, that's not the end of the story: there were problems at the time
with XeTeX's typesetting of maths (IIRC the glue before and after
equations didn't behave the same as with pdfTeX), which eventually
made me switch back to pdfTeX. I used Apple's Preview to convert the
TIFF files to PDF files (of about 1 MB each), and used these new
files. I remember at one time experimenting with tiff2pdf from
libtiff, but finding out the output of Preview was nicer or smaller,
I'm not sure.

As usually happens, this was essentially time wasted, given the
publisher did not use these carefully prepared bitmaps and eventually
prepared their own low-resolution bitmaps from the original PDF files,
as can seen in the final published paper.

> I'm fine w/ the maintenance until there's a showstopping reason to
> discontinue it.

I'm rather pessimistic regarding such strategies: maintaining several
alternative products generally results in the default becoming the
only one to survive after some time, either because of developer's
choice or users' choice. Remember for example in the late 90s Apple's
plan of developing Rhapsody and OS 9 side-by-side, which eventually
resulted, if I'm not mistaken, into Rhapsody becoming OS X and OS 9
becoming Classic then dying.

Bruno