[XeTeX] Useful link, and issue of FAQ/Wiki

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Mar 14 18:03:08 CET 2008

On 14 Mar 2008, at 4:44 pm, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 8:50 AM, François Charette wrote:
>>
>>  I hope someone here can take the initiative of setting up a XeTeX
>> wiki
>>  to which we could all contribute. Also, it would be great if someone
>>  could update the information on XeTeX provided here:
>>  http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=xetex (send your
>>  suggestion to faq-devel at tex.ac.uk)
>
> Unless people have some "religious" views prohibiting them from using
> it - ConTeXt community already has a wiki which enables the use of
> embded
>
> <context>
> \TeX\ commands $E=mc^2$
> </context>
>
> that display as pictures. Random example:
>     http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Table
> As well as <texcode> syntax highlighting.

Cool! I don't have any "religious" objections, and would be happy to
see more XeTeX-related material there. However, I suspect that a
dedicated XeTeX site might be easier for people to find.

> It should not be too hard to enable <xelatex> in addition to <context>
> tags (although we have been discussing <xetex> tags for ages, but the
> ratio requests/work has been too low) and I can istall additional
> fonts if needed.
>
> The problem with wikis such as one for XeTeX is always: you can write
> maybe 100 pages, and then you run out of ideas what else to write. The
> wiki of ConTeXt is way too empty.
>
> Patrick should agree on the first place if we were to set up a new
> wiki on its own or to enable XeTeX/LaTeX code in markup, but you can
> basically start putting code on ConTeXt wiki right away if you want.

Perhaps this would be a good time to mention

     http://xetex.wiki.sourceforge.net/

as well as

     http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=194926

A while back, a colleague (Jelle) began to set up Sourceforge-hosted
services for XeTeX; in particular, a bug/feature-request tracker, and
a wiki space for documentation/faq/samples. The hope was to launch
these in conjunction with the next XeTeX release, but as that seems
to be in a perpetual not-quite-released state, maybe we should just
let you all dive in and contribute anything you like anyway.

In particular, whether or not you choose to use the SF.net-hosted
wiki space, it'd be great to start using the tracker there to report
bugs and request features, rather than just relying on emails here on
the list.

Thanks,

Jonathan