[XeTeX] xetex and friends for fedora 8

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Fri Mar 14 15:46:12 CET 2008

> Fedora will be moving to TeXLive eventually, from what I hear

  I suppose they don't have much of a choice ...

> Does anyone have experience with xetex on a Fedora system?

  Yes, I installed TeX Live from the CD :-)

  There was no problem for that distribution to coexist with the
system's teTeX, since I don't use the latter at all.  I simply put TeX
Live binaries earlier in my PATH, and everything went well.  What
problem do you think you could have?

  The culprit is of course that since teTeX is completely ignored, you
have to install all the packages anew (you really *can't* use teTeX's
files), but unless you have very special needs, you can probably avoid
installing the full 1.2GB load of TeX Live.  On the other hand, if you
have enough disk space and don't really care, it's probably best to.

  On another machine I have made a manually installed XeTeX 0.997
coexist with TeX Live, and it could certainly be done with teTeX instead
of TeX Live, but it would be more complicated (because teTeX's fmtutil
doesn't know about XeTeX, I assume).

	Arthur