[XeTeX] ThreeKingdomsCh1.tex example in XeLaTeX document

Jjgod Jiang gzjjgod at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 03:21:17 CET 2008

Hi David,

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008, David Rangel wrote:
> \newfontfeature{Monospaced}{Text Spacing=Monospaced Text} , and
> \setromanfont[Monospaced,Scale=2.0]{STSong} commands to write left-to-
> right
> formatted characters, but would like to use the vertical typesetting
> that
> is generated by the ThreeKingdomsCh1.tex example on the XeTeX website.
> Could someone get me started or direct me to instructions or pointers
> on how
> I can set up my XeLaTeX document to include the vertically formatted
> Chinese text?

Vertical output requires customed output routine, LaTeX packages
developed by Yin Dian provided such functions, please check:

http://code.google.com/p/gezhu/
http://code.google.com/p/xeguji/

For typesetting Chinese text vertically.

> however, since I don't have a ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines
> I do not know how to switch the engine that
> xelatex uses. is there a configuration script I
> can run to make Xelatex use xdvipdfmx instead of xdv2pdf?

If you invoke xelatex from command line, simply use

xelatex -output-driver="xdvipdfmx -q -E" foo.tex

will be fine. But if you are using TeXShop, it should create
~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/* on it's first launch.

- Jiang