[XeTeX] Encoding of auxiliary files

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Mar 12 19:08:12 CET 2008

On 12 Mar 2008, at 5:12 pm, Ulrike Fischer wrote:

> Am Wed, 12 Mar 2008 12:41:00 +0000 schrieb Jonathan Kew:
>
>>> Btw: Is is correct that the following code
>
>>> {\XeTeXdefaultencoding "cp1252"
>>>  \XeTeXdefaultencoding "auto"}
>
>>> gives the message
>>> ### simple group (level 1) entered at line 5 ({)
>>> ### bottom level
>
>> It is correct, though admittedly a little surprising. The issue here
>> is that encoding names (which are treated like filenames as far as
>> TeX's scanner is concerned) need to be terminated somehow. The quotes
>> do not necessarily delimit them, because it's possible for a name to
>> be constructed from several quoted fragments,
>
> That's the problem when you do to much LaTeX, you forget that
> arguments
> are delimited differently somehow when you use primitives. ;-)
>
> But if the quotes don't terminate the filename, then why using them at
> all? \XeTeXdefaultencoding cp1252\relax and  \XeTeXdefaultencoding
> auto\relax seems to work fine.

Right; they'd only really be necessary if you have a space in the
encoding name. (Which probably doesn't apply to codepage names, but
it applies to files and especially font names, of course. And they're
all scanned in the same way by xetex. So I'm in the habit of putting
quotes around any and all "filenames" in my source.)