[XeTeX] Encoding of auxiliary files

Ulrike Fischer news2 at nililand.de
Wed Mar 12 12:45:12 CET 2008

Am Wed, 12 Mar 2008 09:57:28 +0000 schrieb Jonathan Kew:

>> as far as I can see Xe(La)TeX writes auxiliary files like the .aux and
>> the .toc-file always in utf-8. Is this true?
>
> Yes.
>
>> If yes I think the \XeTeXdefaultencoding command is a bit useless as
>> you will run into trouble if the auxiliary files contains chars
>> outside the ASCII-range (which is quite probable in the case of
>> .toc).

> Right; this is quite limited. The main reason it exists is for cases
> where you need to read an existing file that uses a legacy encoding,
> and you can't modify the actual input file to declare the proper
> \XeTeXinputencoding, so you need to set the encoding before giving
> the \input command.

Yes that makes sense. I got it right that the setting is global, so I
would have to reset it after the input?

Btw: Is is correct that the following code

\documentclass{scrreprt}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\begin{document}
{\XeTeXdefaultencoding "cp1252"
 \XeTeXdefaultencoding "auto"}

test
\end{document}

gives the message
### simple group (level 1) entered at line 5 ({)
### bottom level

?
(It works fine if I add a \relax after the "auto").

--
Ulrike Fischer