[XeTeX] Encoding of auxiliary files

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Mar 12 10:57:28 CET 2008

On 12 Mar 2008, at 9:35 am, Ulrike Fischer wrote:

> Hallo,
>
> as far as I can see Xe(La)TeX writes auxiliary files like the .aux and
> the .toc-file always in utf-8. Is this true?

Yes.

> If yes I think the
> \XeTeXdefaultencoding command is a bit useless as you will run into
> trouble if the auxiliary files contains chars outside the ASCII-range
> (which is quite probable in the case of .toc).

Right; this is quite limited. The main reason it exists is for cases
where you need to read an existing file that uses a legacy encoding,
and you can't modify the actual input file to declare the proper
\XeTeXinputencoding, so you need to set the encoding before giving
the \input command.

But if you're generating auxiliary files within the xetex job and
then reading them back, you almost certainly *don't* want to be using
\XeTeXdefaultencoding throughout.