[XeTeX] Define custom hyphenation

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Mar 10 21:39:02 CET 2008

On 10 Mar 2008, at 3:04 pm, Sven Siegmund wrote:

> Hello, I want to ask you about hyplenation.
>
> I want to add hyphenation patterns to my document. I've read this:
> http://www-h.eng.cam.ac.uk/help/tpl/textprocessing/teTeX/latex/
> latex2e-html/ltx-244.html
> Which says I can add a \hyphenation command filled with a list of word
> and hyphens where I want to hyphenate them.
>
> It also says that words containing special characters should not be
> included there. I should use \- in the text instead.
>
> Can XeTeX handle foreign characters in the \hyphenation command?

Yes, in general. (If you're unsure, just give it a try!)

If you're working with a different language, though (rather than just
needing to handle a few exceptional words, such as foreign names in
an otherwise English document), you should use babel or polyglossia
commands to switch to the appropriate hyphenation rules. Don't try to
deal with foreign-language hyphenation simply by listing loads of
exceptions.