[XeTeX] How do I build xdvipdfmx (or xdv2pdf) on Windows?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Mar 7 23:28:41 CET 2008

Le 7 mars 08 à 22:08, Herbert Schulz a écrit :

> By the way Bruno, I assume the build went fine after you used you
> configuration command. I saved that since it seemed to be the right
> thing. Luckily i still have gwTeX with its kpathsea library. I hope
> TeX Live 2008 will include the includes and libs directories for the
> `hackers.'

Hi Herb,

After applying Jiang's patch (now part of the svn repository), the
build went fine and did not require any special option to be set.
Namely, just type in

sh build-xetex
sudo sh install-xetex

and all goes well.

On OS X, in case for some reason (like reliance on ATSUI) you need to
use xdv2pdf not xdvipdfmx, remember that xdvipdfmx is now the default.
As a consequence, in TeXShop the XeTeX engine now gives the same
result as the XeTeX-xdvipdfmx engine, and similarly for XeLaTeX and
XeLaTeX-xdvipdfmx. To use XeTeX + xdv2pdf, you need to create new
engines: for example, duplicate ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/XeTeX-
xdvipdfmx.engine, rename the copy XeTeX-xdv2pdf.engine and edit it to
change the line

xetex -output-driver="xdvipdfmx -q -E" "$1"

into

xetex -output-driver="xdv2pdf" "$1"

(I'm not sure the quotes around xdv2pdf are actually necessary). Then
take care to select this engine in TeXShop, or for files who had the
header

%!TEX TS-program = xetex

to replace this header by

%!TEX TS-program = xetex-xdv2pdf

(again, only if you need specific features of ATSUI and fonts which
use them).

Bruno