[XeTeX] (Off-topic ?) Installing OpenType fonts on linux

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Fri Mar 7 17:01:36 CET 2008

Arthur Reutenauer a écrit :
>> I know this question isn't strictly related to XeTeX, but can anyone give me
>> some good hints (url for howtos, name of useful software, etc.) about
>> installing fonts on Linux ?
>
>   This is absolutely related to XeTeX, on the contrary,

Phew :)

> as “installing a
> font” on Linux doesn't make much sense, generally speaking.  As far as
> XeTeX is concerned, though, this means installing it for fontconfig, so:
>
> 	1. Put your fonts in ~/.fontconfig
> 	2. Run fc-cache
> 	3. Look at the output of fc-list for the complete list

Ok. It's simple and it works great (with ~/.fonts). I was afraid it would me
more complicated. Thanks.

>   Of course, you should look at the fontconfig documentation for more
> details; in particular, you may want to install the fonts system-wide in
> /usr/local/share/fonts instead of your home directory (the exact list of
> directories fontconfig knows about is in /etc/fonts/fonts.conf, and on
> Debian you can add your own local configuration file local.conf
> alongside with it).

I think fontconfig was indeed the keyword that I missed. Concerning the
local/global installation, it is of little importance at home since I am
texing on a single-user machine, but I am happy to learn that it is so easy to
install fonts in ones home/, since it will allow me to use the fonts at work too.

Manuel.