[XeTeX] Problem using XeTeXinterchartoks

Barry MacKichan barry at mackichan.com
Mon Mar 3 22:04:52 CET 2008

I am having trouble using XeTeXinterchartoks. My TeX file is below, and
the resulting PDF file is attached. The Chinese characters appear in the
first line (showing that \zhfam is defined correctly), but in the second
line, there is blank space where the Chinese characters should be. Any
help would be appreciated, such as a correction of this file or a link
to a complete working sample.

I am using XeTeX version 0.997 svn 539, the one included in the MikTeX
download.

Thanks,

Barry MacKichan

\documentclass{article}%
\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage{amsfonts}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\usepackage{xunicode}

\newfontfamily\zhfam{MingLiU}
\XeTeXinterchartokenstate = 1
\XeTeXinterchartoks 0 1 {\begingroup\zhfam}
\XeTeXinterchartoks 1 0 {\endgroup}
\XeTeXinterchartoks 255 1 {\begingroup\zhfam}
\XeTeXinterchartoks 1 255 {\endgroup}

\begin{document}
Here is some text: \begingroup\zhfam 多項式函數: \endgroup
\\
Now is the time to write: 多項式函數:
\\
\end{document}