[XeTeX] Thesis/Report class in XeTeX

Kevin Godby godbyk at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 21:50:48 CEST 2008

Hello, Gilles.

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 11:19 AM, Gilles Lemagnen
<gilles.lemagnen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The problem I have is that I am trying to use my previous LaTeX
> documents, but they will not work with XeTeX.
>  For example, i can not specify \chapter{Introduction}  in a .tex
> file... and then use \include{Introduction} in the main tex file which
> I render as pdf. Otherwise it displays an error during the Typeset process.
>
> So how can I have one main file and different sub-sections files that
> are joined together in the main file in XeTeX ?

I'm not sure exactly what problems you're having, but the following
works for me.  First, in your main .tex file (we'll call it, say,
myreport.tex), do something like this:

% BEGIN myreport.tex
\documentclass{report}

\title{My Report}
\author{Gilles}

\begin{document}

\include{introduction}% read introduction.tex
\include{chap01}% read chap01.tex
% ... etc.

\end{document}
% END myreport.tex

Then, create two files: introduction.tex and chap01.tex:

% BEGIN introduction.tex
\chapter{Introduction}
This is the introduction of my report.
% END introduction.tex

% BEGIN chap01.tex
\chapter{First Chapter}
This is the first chapter.
% END chap01.tex

To typeset/compile your report, run:

  xelatex myreport

It will automatically pull in and typeset the introduction.tex and
chap01.tex files for you -- you won't need to run xelatex against
those manually.

Also note that if you were to put the \chapter{Introduction} line in
your main myreport.tex file (and left it out of your introduction.tex
file):

\chapter{Introduction}
\include{introduction}

there will be a page break between the chapter heading and the body
text.  This page break is inserted by \include.

I'm not sure if this directly addressed your question/problem or not.
If it doesn't, please email back and let us know what the error
message is that you're seeing and perhaps provide a small sample
document that exhibits the problem.

--Kevin Godby