[XeTeX] XeTeX quits typesetting with "broken pipe"

Pierre Funck pierre.funck at mac.com
Fri Jun 27 09:51:50 CEST 2008

Hello,

I'm working on a book project with a lot of figures and with OpenType
fonts loaded via the fontspec package. XeLaTeX (on MacTeX) stops in
the middle of the typesetting process with the error "broken pipe".
The precise place where the error occurs is different every time, not
reproducible. The error doesn't occur when I switch the graphicx
package to draft mode. (Tried switching to GhostScript instead of
pdftex with no success.)

The problem only occurs with XeLaTeX. No error occurs when compiling
the same file with normal LaTeX (where, of course, I can't use the
OpenType fonts I need).

The problem only occurs on my MacBook Pro with Mac OS 10.5.2.
Everything seems to be working fine on my PowerMac G5 Quad with Mac
OS 10.4.11. So it might be a Leopard incompatibility.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot in advance.
P. Funck