[XeTeX] "Std" fonts and some European characters

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 01:20:42 CEST 2008

2008/6/24 Meho R. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a large collection of "Std" .otf fonts (Adobe, Linotype...) but have
> problem with some characters: "č" (\v c), "ć" (\' c), "Đ" (\dj) which are
> used in my language (Bosnian). Is there a way to make these fonts correctly
> display these characters?

Hello,

You may do the following:

\catcode`č=\active
\defč{\accent"02C7 c}
% usually, the caron gets misplaced, so one would need to fix that a
bit depending on font

\catcode`ć=\active
\defć{\accent"02CA c}

which will make the characters active, and TeX will compose them
instead of taking them from the font. (If it doesn't work, ask again.)

But with Đ you would need to play a bit to make it look OK even
approximately "right".

You can take a look at
    http://source.contextgarden.net/tex/context/base/enco-mis.tex
to see a macro that draws a line across D. But you really need to know
what you are doing. It's useful if you need to write a name or two,
but might look a bit unprofessional if every sentence has those faked
characters. And it breaks kerning around c and d.

Mojca