[XeTeX] something wrong with xunicode.sty [WAS: do you see...]

François Patte francois.patte at math-info.univ-paris5.fr
Mon Jun 16 12:02:51 CEST 2008

Le 15.06.2008 23:35, Ross Moore a écrit :
| Hi Ulrike, Francois, and others,
|
| On 16/06/2008, at 3:47 AM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
|> Am Sun, 15 Jun 2008 19:11:13 +0200 schrieb
|> francois.patte at math-info.univ-paris5.fr:

|>> Bonsoir,
|>>
|>> According to the answer by Syros Apostolos to my previous mail,
|>> character "\b n" (n , b , d whatever) is undefined if you load
|>> xunicode.sty, and is defined if you don't load it....
|>>
|>> I don't understand why because this can be read in xunicode.sty:
|>>
|>> \DeclareUTFcomposite[\UTFencname]{x1E47}{\d}{n}
|>>
|>> Who can help?
|> The \b is defined in xunicode as
|>
|> \DeclareEncodedCompositeCharacter{\UTFencname}{\b}{0332}{005F}
|
| No; this isn't a *definition* of \b .
| It is a *declaration* of what to do, under certain circumstances.
|
| In the case at hand, it is actually irrelevant, since the
| appropriate circumstances do not arise.
|
| These later declarations take precedence:
|
|   \DeclareUTFcomposite[\UTFencname]{x1E48}{\b}{N}
|   \DeclareUTFcomposite[\UTFencname]{x1E49}{\b}{n}
|
| so that with the combination of accent \b  and letter  n
| XeTeX is asked to use  \char"1E49 .

So, I don't know what to do: if I disable xunicode, I can get
\char"1E49, \char"1E48, but some other char are missing (for instance
\i, and if I need \=\i it is impossible to have it with a "i" without
dot...)

BTW I noticed that diacritics are not correctly displayed when you use
xunicode; for instance \d (ie underdot), the dot is written under the
right of the character with some fonts: palatino linotype, times new
roman...., in a better position with some others: junicode. This
behaviour is slightly corrected if you add xltxtra.

Last: can someone give me the name "nice" fonts with all possible
diacritics, and features like "rare ligatures", oldstyle numbers, and so on.

Is it possible to know what features are available in one font?

Thanks.

- --
François Patte
UFR de mathématiques et informatique