[XeTeX] mapping=tex-text and weird ligatures

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 09:42:33 CEST 2008

On 13/06/2008, at 4:58 PM, Joseph Wright wrote:

> I'd agree.  The --/--- convention is very handy, as I don't imagine
> many
> keyboards have a convenient key for these.  I'd also say that the
> apostrophe convention is pretty hard-wired for a lot of people, given
> that this is very much "part of TeX".  Unlike Ulrike, I stick with
> using
> ``/'' as I'm almost always writing in English, so again it is very
> useful.

It's easy to type en-dash and em-dash on Mac OS X: option+hyphen and
shift+option+hyphen. This isn't point-scoring or anything, just to
point out that different keyboards and platforms change what's easy
for different people.

The tex-text mapping is designed more as a "backwards compatibility"
measure for old documents. I don't really see the advantage of writing
a new mapping for new documents only, especially given that some
people don't need ``/'', some people don't need --/---, and so on. I'd
say there are vanishingly few cases where people find the few mappings
such as `? inconvenient.