[XeTeX] mapping=tex-text and weird ligatures

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 23:48:19 CEST 2008

(Was: loosing some active characters)

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 11:38 PM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
> On 12 Jun 2008, at 2:29 pm, François Patte wrote:
>
>> Bonsoir,
>>
>> I used to type: --- in order to get a punctuation dash with latex.
>> This
>> is no more true with xelatex... Did I forgot something?
>
> That wasn't actually an "active character" in latex, it's a ligature
> in the traditional TeX fonts.
>
> If you're loading fonts in xelatex through fontspec, you want to
> apply the "tex-text" font mapping to provide this functionality:

Hello,

Jonathan has already answered the question, but one more observation
for the others - in ConTeXt we felt that some of the ligatures were
sensible (namely, three of them - endash, emdash and apostrophe),
while the others (like `?) are more like leftovers that are not really
desirable/needed in Unicode world, so we added additional mapping to
the ConTeXt distribution (loaded automatically when one uses
"features=default" in high level user interface). That mapping only
uses the three above mentioned ligatures.

Anyone on this list sharing the thoughts? (It might make sense to have
another common mapping apart from tex-text.)

Mojca