[XeTeX] public xelatex.fmt

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Jun 4 19:55:45 CEST 2008

On 4 Jun 2008, at 6:11 pm, maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu wrote:

> JK wrote:
>>> kpathsea: Running mktexfmt xelatex.fmt
>>> fmtutil: running `xetex -ini   -jobname=xelatex -progname=xelatex -
>>> etex
>>> xelatex.ini' ...
>>
>> Ok, this indicates that it didn't find xelatex.fmt already available
>> in (one of) the web2c directory(ies) where it looks for these...
>
> AFAICT, xelatex.fmt does not come in the texlive2007 package:

Right, it's built on demand (in your personal .texlive2007 dir) or by
fmtutil (personally) or fmtutil-sys (globally).

>> find /groups/tools/texlive/2007/ -name xelatex.fmt
>>

>>> ==========================================>
>>> (/groups/tools/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/source/latex/cmcyralt/
>>> hyphen.cfg
>>
>> This doesn't look good; I don't think you want a hyphen.cfg file that
>> was specifically intended for Cyrillic stuff in 8-bit LaTeX.
>
> Agreed, but why is it looking there?

Because of your TEXINPUTS paths, see below.

>> In fact, on looking at those paths again, I see that the hyphen.cfg
>> file is under the /source/ tree, which shouldn't be in the runtime
>> search path; and the rhyphen.tex file is under /doc/, ditto! Check
>> your TEXINPUTS settings in texmf.cnf -- or do you have an environment
>> variable that's overriding it?
>
>> echo $TEXINPUTS
> .:/groups/tools/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex/xelatex//:/groups/tools/
> texlive/2007/texmf-dist//:/groups/tools/texlive/2007/texmf//:/
> groups/tools/dblatex-0.2.7/latex//

This is your problem. You shouldn't have the top level of /texmf-
dist/ or /texmf/ in the search path, because then files in the source
or doc subtrees may be found, besides the files really intended to be
tex inputs. If you really need to set a TEXINPUTS variable, it should
point to the /texmf-dist/tex/ and /texmf/tex/ subdirs, at least, if
not even more specific places.

In most cases, I'd say it's better not to set any env vars, just use
the standard settings from texmf.cnf. If you need to add stuff (like
your dblatex stuff), install it under /texmf-local/tex/ (for global
use) or ~/texmf/tex/ (for personal use only).