[XeTeX] public xelatex.fmt

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 17:13:57 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 4:57 PM,  <maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu> wrote:
> Last year, I installed xe(la)tex from the TeXLive distribution, and ran
> it.  I had to create the Unicode versions of the hyphenation files, as
> described at
> http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=xetex_faq#xelatex
> in order for the xelatex.fmt file to build.

In TeX Live 2007, it should build already without any problems (maybe
not witout mistakes, but that's something else). I wonder why you had
to follow those (old) instructions that were true before TeX Live 2007
in order to make it work.

> (BTW, the description there is a little vague.  I find two sets of what I
> assume to be hyphenation files in the texlive distro--at least both sets
> end in '.hyp': /groups/tools/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex/latex/ and
> /groups/tools/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex/context/patterns/.  Also, if I
> do want to create UTF-8 versions of the hyphenation files, rather than
> editing the language.dat file to eliminate those languages, it's not
> entirely clear to me what the source encoding is; I'm assuming ISO-8859-1,

No, most patterns are in EC/Cork encoding, not in ISO-8859-1 (except
for a very few).
Do not try to look for support of that encoding in any editor (just in
case that you were planning to do anything similar).

Pattern files are under [texmf]/tex/generic/hyphen/*.tex
The one for ConTeXt (tex/context/patterns) are in UTF-8 already, but
they're usually not used with XeLaTeX.

> but that's doubtless wrong for some languages.  Maybe the texlive distro
> could come with the UTF-8 versions as well?

It (hopefully) will.

They're not completely ready yet, but you can take a look at
     svn://tug.org/texhyphen/trunk/tex

However: you should not bother about it. It should happen more or less
automatically.

Mojca