[XeTeX] Problem with Arabic fonts

L J Davies ljdavies at cimbri.nildram.co.uk
Tue Jun 3 11:37:32 CEST 2008

Dear All,

I have a problem with using the Adobe Arabic Regular font with XeTeX or
XeLaTeX. I have been able to use fonts such as Arabic Typesetting and
Scheherazade without any difficulty. However, when I try to use Adobe Arabic
I get separate, oversized, and overlapping characters. I have tried
specifying the ligature settings explicitly with the RawFeature setting
provided by the fontspec package but to no avail.

The preamble to my document contains the following:

\usepackage{euler}

\usepackage{fontspec}

\defaultfontfeatures{Scale=MatchLowercase,Mapping=tex-text}

\usepackage{xunicode}

\usepackage{xltxtra}

\TeXXeTstate=1

\newfontfamily\ara[Script=Arabic,Language=Arabic]{Adobe Arabic}

The Arabic text itself is set between the e-TeX \beginR and \endR
primitives:

\beginR{\ara (some Arabic text) }\endR

I have tried using the font with the above settings, without the language
setting, and without both the script and language settings. Where am I going
wrong here?

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Lars