[XeTeX] issue with xetex and geometry

Ulrike Fischer news2 at nililand.de
Wed Jul 30 11:08:12 CEST 2008

Am Wed, 30 Jul 2008 10:20:01 +0200 schrieb Bruno Voisin:

>> You need a geometry.cfg special for xelatex:
>>
>> %% geometry.cfg for XeLaTeX - version of 2008-03-26
>>
>> \@ifundefined{XeTeXversion}{}{%
>> %% override to use the "pdftex" driver
>> %% (i.e., \pdfpagewidth, \pdfpageheight) with XeTeX
>> \def\Gm at checkdrivers{%
>>       \Gm at setdriver{pdftex}%
>> }%
>> }%
>>
>> \endinput
>>
>> %% End of file `geometry.cfg'.
>
> TeXLive-2008 (currently in beta) includes an older version:
>
> %% geometry.cfg for XeLaTeX - JK 2006-06-07
> % Public domain
>
> \@ifundefined{XeTeXversion}{}{
> 	%% Use the "pdftex" driver (i.e., \pdfpagewidth, \pdfpageheight) with
> XeTeX
> 	\Gm at setdriver{pdftex}
>
> 	%% don't check this AtBeginDocument, just believe me!
> 	\let\Gm at checkdrivers\relax
> }
>
> \endinput
>
> %% End of file `geometry.cfg'.
>
> Which one should we use?

Hm. I don't think that this is really the old geometry.cfg of 2006 (that
one contained a test for \pdfoutput). This one is a variant of the one
developed by Jonathan and me in a discussion in march 2008 on this list.
Probably Jonathan only forgot to change the date.

In any case I would say there is no real difference  between the two.
They should work both. But you can also test it: Make a small document
with \usepackage[dvips,paperwidth=4cm]{geometry}, run it with
latex+dvips, xelatex, pdflatex and check the paper width.

--
Ulrike Fischer