[XeTeX] Whoever said quotation-marks are unimportant?

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Mon Jul 28 18:29:33 CEST 2008

Dear All

Actually censeo ceterum isn't right in Latin:  Ceterum is a prepositive and
can't be tucked in after a verb, as for example autem could be (autem being
a postpostive:  censeo autem but never autem censeo).  But it's correct to
point out that the common idea that the verb always goes at the end of the
sentence or clause in Latin is a misapprehension.

Not only was there no end-of-sentence punctuation in Greek and Latin, but
there were not even spaces between the words:  everything was written in
capitals unspaced, which is one reason (I suppose) why silent reading was
such a rare phenomenon in the ancient world (apparently referred to in
Aristophanes' Frogs - but significantly it is a god who is doing such an
amazing thing, and then much later Augustine was seen as doing something
amazing when he landed in England reading silently to himself when getting
off the ship).  There is a letter from Cicero in which he tells his
correspondent that he was entertaining friends when he received his
correspondent's letter, and so went into another room to read it - because
otherwise his friends would have known the contents as he spoke the words
aloud.

The accumulation of full stops is definitely undesirable in quotes within
quotes within quotes - one is quite enough!  And indeed if a quoted sentence
ends in a question mark or excamation mark most publishing houses would
specify that there is no need for an additional full stop whatever the logic
of the situation - there is already one there at the bottom of the
punctuation mark.  Usually nowadays in English typesetting the first level
of quotation is marked by single quotes, double only for quotes within
quotes (then back to single for quotes within quotes within quotes).  That's
comparatively modern, though - in the nineteenth century the preference was
the opposite.

But the main  thing is that TeX is a very convenient tool for achieving
whatever one decides is the correct punctuation in a given context.

Best

John