[XeTeX] font selection debugging

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Jul 24 23:34:29 CEST 2008

Hi Vladimir,

Sorry I have been so out-of-touch this week; very little connectivity
at the TUG conference. :(

Looking back at your original report, which shows varying behavior for:

> \font\xxa="ArTarumianGrqiNor_U BoldItalic/I/ICU" at 10pt
> \edef\xxb{\fontname\xxa}
> \show\xxb
>
> when run on the first PC, i get:
>
>> \xxb=macro:
> ->"ArTarumianGrqiNor_U BoldItalic/ICU".
> l.3 \show\xxb
>
> when run on the secong PC, i get:
>
>> \xxb=macro:
> ->"ArTarumianGrqiNor_U Bold/ICU".
> l.3 \show\xxb

it seems to me that the first PC is showing the proper result. Is this
the machine running the newer software versions? I suspect this might
be a result of the different fontconfig versions:

> differences between the PCs are:
>
> 1) running xetex 0.999.1 (from current texlive Master tree) and
> fontconfig 2.6.0 on debian sid
>
> 2) running xetex 0.997 (compiled on 2008-04-24) and
> fontconfig-2.4.1-3.fc6

but it is also possible that it is due to xetex itself. Is it possible
for you to try xetex 0.999.1 on PC 2, and 0.997 on PC 1, to see if the
problem stays with the library or moves with xetex?

I'm thinking that to help with debugging things like this, maybe I
should enhance \tracingfonts to support logging of the fontconfig
queries and cache-building that xetex does. You can't easily debug
merely with FC tracing at the moment, because of how xetex builds and
uses its own cache; it does not simply execute a fontconfig query for
the name that is given, so it's not comparable to running fc-match at
the commend line.